December 8, 2009
Present: Bill, Eric, Ann, Karen, Connie, Angela
Minutes from November 10: Drop 3 bullet points re prizes. Approved as altered.
Resignation of Kristen Kavon. Fill her position until elections, via appointment. Send suggestions for replacement to Bill via email.
Special Meeting January 5. Thayne wants to come on January 12. We need to think about the conversation we will have with him. Special meeting to prepare for January 12 meeting.
He will make his own presentation. He wants to get us into the conversation regarding size of the university.
He wants to hear our concerns. We need to create a small list to send to him in advance.
- Card for Marcia, having surgery today.
- Focus Group project, Tony Andenaro, Tensions of economic pressure on your job
- HUG be focused around "Who moved my cheese" - Change management. Should we have a team? Yes, Angela will chair.
- Staff L
- Peer Advisor discrepancies between website and employee manual. Last policy manual was 2006. There are discrepancies between Employee Manual and Peer Advisor Notebook in terms of the function of the peer advisor, and the processes for conflict resolution, counseling and corrective action. A good question to raise with Thayne.
Bill and Eric met with Thayne two weeks ago:
- We will no longer have a liaison between staff assembly and president. Go directly to the president.
- Monthly meetings with Thayne in the future.
- Winter break proposal is still in consideration; has gone to the cabinet.
- Complicated...some offices need a more constant presence, even during break.
- Issue of justice and equity. Various deans are given an option to let staff take the time off with pay. Others force employees to take vacation.
- A week; B week.
- CARES initiative. Thayne was not as informed as we thought. He has recent concerns...spike in litigation against universities. Will these activities make us more vulnerable to litigation?
- Communication strategy with him
- Employee manual situation
- Fall Faculty conference, we would like to attend; we miss important information. We don't have a similar event. Info we missed at Fall Faculty meeting:
- Spring enrollment numbers will determine if operating budget will be funded.
- Effort coming designing a new strategic plan.
- State of the budget? Ripple effect for salary increases, budget planning for next year, impact on morale?
- Work load concern?
- Organizational climate work.
- Winter break? How did it work?
Send out email regarding Jan 5 meeting; Send and refine this list of topics. "Choose the top three things".....
Gale Jennings retirement...can we do something for her?