Florence Reunion Schedule
Thursday, April 24th, 2014
Morning — Walking tour of the San Marco with Mercedes Carrara; limited to the first 24 people.
Morning — Walking tour entitled, "The hidden side of Florence: a walk through the city's ancient and recent past" — by Dr. Henry Batterman; limited to the first 24 people.
Afternoon — Walking tour of the Bargello with Mercedes Carrara; limited to the first 24 people.
Afternoon — Walking tour entitled, "The hidden side of Florence: a walk through the city's ancient and recent past" — by Dr. Henry Batterman; limited to the first 24 people.
6:00 - 8:00 PM - Opening Reception held at the historic Palazzo Vecchio, Florence's city hall. We will commemorate our last 50 years in Florence with a welcome from the Mayor of Florence and an invitation to enjoy another 50 years in Florence. We will gather in the Salone Dei Cinquecento, "Room of the 500." The Room depicts large frescoes along with the ceiling constructed of 39 panels painted by Giorgio Varsari, an Italian painter and architect, along with our Renaissance works of art. Cocktails and hors d' oeuvres will follow in the Hall of Armor. (Business Casual Attire)
Friday, April 25th, 2014
9:30 AM - 2:30 PM - G-I-F Campus Open House and lectures with Mercedes Carrara, Dean Patrick Burke, and other faculty throughout the day.
Lecture topics and speakers include:
- Pierluca Birindelli "1963-2013:The Italian Society 50 years after the "Economic Miracle” 10:00 a.m., Room 201
- Mercedes Carrara "Florentine Legends on Artists, Saints, and Persons" 10:00 a.m., Room 306 (THIS LECTURE IS FULL)
- Dr. Patrick Burke "Gonzaga in Florence: a Future to Believe in, a Future to Invest in" 10:30 a.m., Room 107
- Gabriela Horvath "Shakespeare's Psalms" 11:30 a.m., Room 201
- Giovanna Russo "Italy of the Rich, Italy of the Poor” 11:30 a.m., Room 107
- Francesco Vossilla “Marble Heroes: Renaissance Statues in Palazzo Vecchio” 11:30 a.m., Room 306
- Mercedes Carrara "Florence's Top Monuments in the Hearts of My Students" 2:30 p.m., Room 306 (THIS LECTURE IS FULL)
- Dr. Joe Kinsella “Global Engagement at Gonzaga” 2:30 p.m. room 201
Evening - No-host Class Dinners: Several local restaurants will be secured for class dinners ranging from 25-100+ people, with varying price ranges. Guests will pay a pre-determined amount when they register to secure space(s).
Saturday, April 26th, 2014
11:00 AM - Mass will be celebrated by the Cardinal of Florence, His Eminence, Giuseppe Betori, at the Chiesa SS Trinita.
12:00 - 2:00 PM - Reception and Open House to be held at the Palazzo Antinori, former home of the Gonzaga-in-Florence program. (Informal Attire)
6:00 PM - Gala Dinner celebrating 50 years of G-I-F to be held at the Palazzo Corsini, a beautiful Renaissance era Palazzo located on the banks overlooking the River Arno. (Cocktail Attire)
Sunday, April 27th, 2014
Antinori Winery tours:
Bus Transportation will depart Santa Maria Novella at 11:00 AM and will return to Florence at approximately 4:00 PM. Price ($35) includes transportation, winery tour, and tastings.