How will I use Office 365 for email and calendar?
The following describes some ways you can connect to your email account.
Will office 365 email and calendar work on my Android, iPhone, or other mobile device?
- Web browser Outlook Web App (OWA) lets you use a Web browser to access your mailbox from any computer that has an Internet connection. You can use it to read and send email messages, organize contacts, create tasks, and manage your calendar. You can use Outlook Web App with almost any Web browser. This includes Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Chrome, and most other Web browsers on computers running UNIX, Apple Macintosh, or Windows. See this link for more information about OWA. See this link for a list of supported versions.
- Desktop You can access Office 365 using your desktop Microsoft Outlook application in addition to Microsoft Outlook Web App.
- Mobile phones and tablets Office 365 also works with a variety of mobile phones and tablets. You can set up your mobile phone or device to access your email, calendar information, contacts, and tasks. For more detail see this link.
Yes, the Office 365 email & calendaring solution (Exchange Online) will work on most mobile devices. However, the functionality of some features may be limited compared to Outlook or the Outlook Web App.
What is my storage limit?
25 GB (gigabytes)
What software is required to take full advantage of Office 365 for email and calendaring?
For PC users:
The system requirements for Office 365 are: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista SP2, or Windows XP SP3; Office 2007 and later; and Internet Explorer 8 or above.
For Mac users:
The system requirements for Office 365 are: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard); 10.6 (Snow Leopard), or 10.7 (Lion); Office 2011 for Mac; and Safari 5 or above.
What browser can I use to access the Outlook Web App (OWA)?
For the smoothest user experience in Office 365, it is recommended to use the following versions of web browsers: IE 9 or above, latest Firefox "release" version, latest Chrome "stable" version, latest Safari version. Microsoft's list of absolute minimum browser requirements can be found Here.
Common Browsers and their recommended versions
- Internet Explorer - Recommended using IE 9 or above
- Support for Internet Explorer 8 will be ending in the early months of 2014. For more information, please see Microsoft's Office 365 and IE 8 support document.
- Firefox and Chrome - Recommended using latest "release" version
- Latest releases can be found at Firefox's Homepage or Chrome's homepage respectively.
- Minimum requirements: Firefox 12/Chrome 18
- Why only the latest "release" version? Microsoft has the following to say on the matter:
Google and Mozilla do not maintain older versions of Chrome and Firefox, respectively. Also, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are designed to stream updates your computers, and are updated every six weeks. Many common problems with these browsers are resolved in the next update. taken from Microsoft's Client System Requirements page
What will Office 365 screens look like?
- Safari - Recommended using latest version
Outlook Web App
The links below will show you screen shots from Outlook Web App, the browser-based version of Outlook. There are many ways to customize your mail, calendar, contact and task views -- these are just examples of the default views. Please keep in mind that these images represent our test environment. You may see slight differences in the version released to campus.
Some answers provided by our colleagues at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the Division of Information Technology, thank you!