OVERVIEW OF GRANT SEEKING OFFICES/STAFF
Sponsored Research and Programs; University Advancement, Development; Controller's Office
Sponsored Research and Programs (SRP)
- Support office for faculty and staff who want to fund their creative, scholarly, service, and/or research efforts in research, programs, or projects that meet the mission of the University.
- Responsible for securing funding from public grant makers (government agencies--grant awards and contracts). Collaborates with University Advancement, Development to secure funding from private sources (foundations, corporations, alumni, etc.).
- In collaboration with the Controller's Office, protects the interests of the University, departments, and individual grant seekers.
Joann Waite, PhD, Director and Research Integrity Officer, x5870, email@example.com: Joann is the lead contact for faculty and staff and is liaison with the AVP. Her team can help you with grant research and outreach to funding agencies as well as suggest potential collaborators. SRP can provide assistance with institutional matching, if the grantor requires or recommends cost-share. Before you submit (pre-award), Joann manages internal approvals through the Internal Approval Document (IAD) process, which is required of all grants submitted at Gonzaga University (public and private). For public grants, her staff will help you prepare and submit a professional, polished proposal. Joann will help you develop your proposal budget and will, in collaboration with GU Corporate Counsel, help you create contracts for funding . After you submit (post-award), SRP staff will assist you with the administration of your grant through a meeting with GU's Grant Accountant, Jackie Van Allen, from the Controller's Office, assist you in meeting auditor-required compliance for both public and private grants, and help you seek further funding for your project.
Kathy Hill, Process Manager, x6098, firstname.lastname@example.org: Kathy can help you develop your project idea, research public funders, create a timeline for proposal preparation, interpret funder guidelines, and assist with writing, editing, and formatting your professional proposal.
Diane Farrell, Program Coordinator, x4065, email@example.com: Diane will help you register with federal agencies and upload documents to your electronic application. She carries the final burden of submitting your grant. (Often these uploads take several hours and, with some agencies, you do not get confirmation for days.) Grants.gov anticipates slower processing times due to increased activity on the system, so it is best that you plan to submit your grant at least 3-5 business days ahead of the due date. Diane also does the final check on the full proposal and packages the documentation for your awarded grant prior to its transition to the Controller's Office to fulfill fiscal responsibility.
University Advancement, Corporate and Foundation Giving
- Assists faculty and staff with proposal writing, grant reporting, and development of material for submission.
- Develops engagement strategies with faculty and staff when potential donor priorities align with University priorities and mission.
- Coordinates communication with potential corporate and private foundation donors regarding funding and engagement opportunities.
- Stewards donors to maintain productive and enduring relationships that result in continued support.
Carroll Deason, Director, Corporate/Foundation Giving, x5983, firstname.lastname@example.org
Teah Chadderdon, Development Officer, Foundations, x6394, email@example.com
- If your grant is awarded, the staff of the Controller's office will meet with you to review the grant award documentation and begin the process of managing your grant funds in partnership with various campus offices (Payroll, Gift Accounting, etc.). You will work with them to provide financial information for any required reports.
Deena Presnell, Controller, x6803, firstname.lastname@example.org: Deena oversees the Controller's Office and is Gonzaga University's authorized approver for all financial documents from the Controller's Office.
Michelle Soss, Assistant Controller, x6371, soss@gonzaga,edu: Michelle reviews and approves reconciliations of grant financial reports as prepared by the grant accountant.
Jackie Van Allen, Grant Accountant, x6808, email@example.com: Jackie is the lead contact on grant post-awards and assists with grant management. She creates a general ledger fund number and is responsible for reviewing and approving all expenses related to federal and non-federal grants. She prepares reconciliations of federal grant financial reports with supporting accounting records and completes electronic filing to federal agencies. Non-federal grants requiring financial information should be reviewed by the Controller’s Office before being submitted to the granting agency.
Last update: 30 June 2016