Databases| E-Journals | Statistical Sources
Criminal Justice Information: How to Find It, How to Use It. REF HV7419.5.C75 1998
Practical Research: Planning and Design. STACKS Q180.55.M4 L43 1993
Sociology: A Guide to Reference and Information Sources. REF HM585.A39 1997
Advances in Applied Social Psychology (annual). STACKS HM251.A34, 1980-present
ASA Style Guide (American Sociological Assn.). REF HM73.A54 1996
Handbook of Forensic Science.LAW LIBRARY HV8073.U5 1984
Handbook of Hispanic Cultures in the United States. REF E184.S75H365 1993
Handbook of Social Psychology. REF HM251.H224 1998
Handbook of Survey Research. STACKS HN29.H294 1983
Handbook of Theory and Research for the Sociology of Education. STACKS LC191.2.H36 1986
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias:
Use these sources to understand terminology, obtain background information, identify issues, and get names, dates and an initial literature review.
Concise Oxford Dictionary of Sociology. REF HM17.C66 1994
Dictionary of Statistics and Methodology. REF HA17.V64 1993
Encyclopedia of American Social History. REF HN57.E58 1993
Encyclopedia of Human Behavior. REF BF31.E5 1994
Encyclopedia of Parenting Theory and Research. REF HQ755.8.523 1999
Encyclopedia of Social Work. REF HV35.S6 1995
Encyclopedia of Sociology. REF HM 17.E5 1992
Encyclopedia of Violence, Peace & Conflict. REF HM425.E63 1999
International Encyclopedia of Sociology. REF HM17.I53 1984
International Encyclopedia of the Sociology of Education. REF LC191.I49 1997
New Dictionary of Catholic Social Thought. REF BX1753.N497 1994
Social Science Encyclopedia. REF H41.S63 1996
Violence in America: An Encyclopedia. REF HN90.V5.V5474 1999
Women's Studies Encyclopedia. REF HQ1115.W645 1999
Bibliographies provide a list of relevant published research on a topic. Use them to initiate and augment your literature search, to identify important sources on a topic, or to check the inclusiveness of research you have already completed.
Annual Review of Sociology. http://soc.annualreviews.org/ and in print at HM1.A763
Bibliographic Index. REF INDEXES Z1002. B595 v.1-, 1937/42-present
Friendship: a Selected, Annotated Bibliography. BJ 1533.F8Y33 1985
Issues in the Sociology of Religion: a Bibliography. BL60. B54 1986
Organizational and Interorganizational Dynamics: an Annotated Bibliography. HM131.P388 1992
Philosophy: a Select, Classified Bibliography of Ethics, Economics, Law, Politics, Sociology. B53.M37 1970
Reader's Guide to Women's Studies. REF HQ1180.r43 1998
Sociology of American Indians: a Critical Bibliography. E98.S67T46 1980
Sociology of Poverty in the United States. HC110.P6 C44 1985
Sociology of the Law. LAW LIBRARY K366.T74 1994
- Academic Search Premier
- The world's largest academic multi-disciplinary database, provides full text for nearly 4,600 scholarly publications.
- Criminology and Law Enforcement Periodicals @Foley
- Click here for instant access to individual titles--in your field.
- Provides links to a variety of periodical indexes and other databases, including WorldCat, Article First, NetFirst, GPO and others.
- Used to be Uncover. Contains tables of contents of more than 15,000 recent journals. Fax copies of articles from Uncover is available for a fee. Updated daily.
- Law Periodicals @Foley (and Chastek)
- Click here for links to specific types of legal journals--civil, family, constitutional--and more.
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service
- Contains summaries of criminal justice journal articles, books, reports and other documents. Many available in full-text or may be requested through InterLibrary Loan.
- PAIS International - Indexes HB1.A1 P26
- PAIS publishes bibliographic indexes to the literature of public policy, social policy and the social sciences in general.
- Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection
- Provides 550 full text journals, including more than 500 peer-reviewed titles on topics such as emotional and behavioral characteristics, psychiatry & psychology, mental processes, anthropology, and observational and experimental methods.
- ProQuest Direct
- Provides access to a large collection of information, including summaries and full-text of articles from over 5,000 publications, covering a wide range of subject areas.
- Produced by the American Psychological Association, PsycINFO indexes journal articles, chapters, books, dissertations and reports on psychology and related fields. Coverage from 1887-present.
- Sociological Abstracts
- Sociological Abstracts is a collection of non-evaluative abstracts reflecting the world's periodical literature in sociology and related disciplines. It indexes over 500 journals. The online version indexes from1963-present.
- Social Services Abstract
- Current abstracts & indexes of over 1,304 serials publications focused on: social work, human services, social welfare, social policy, and community development
- Sociology Journals @Foley
- Easy to use! Just click and search Foley's Sociology journals.
- SocINDEX with Full Text
Selected E-Journals in Sociology
Americana: the journal of American popular culture
Electronic Journal of Sociology
IDEA: a Journal of Social Issues
IT & Society
Journal of Criminal Justice and Popular Culture
Journal of Mundane Behavior
Other Voices : The (e)Journal of Cultural Criticism
County & City Data BookStatistical Sources
Use these to gather relevant statistics and other numerical data on your topic. Statistics can be useful in proving the importance of a chosen issue or in justifying a hypotheses or viewpoint. . REF DESK DOCS US C3.134/2:C83/2
Dictionary of Statistical Terms. REF HA 17. K4 1971
Family Income Study. DOCS WA 353. P96fam i 1992
Growing Up in America: An Atlas of Youth in the USA. REF HB1323.C52.U658 1998
International Encyclopedia of Statistics. REF HA 17.I63, 1978
Review of Economics and Statistics. PER HA 1.R35, 1959-present
Statistical Abstract of the United States. REF DESK US C3.134/7 / CD-ROM
Statistics for Business and Economics. SPCOLL LD2001.G57M66S7 1992
Statistical Yearbook (United Nations).REF HA12.5.U63 1948-present
Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics. REF HV 7245. N37b 1976-present
We the American Women. DOCS US C3.2:AM3/6/993
The World's Women, 1970-1990: Trends and Statistics. STACKS HQ1154.W96 1991
Selected Web Sites
- INFOMINE - Social Sciences and Humanities - http://infomine.ucr.edu/sshinfo.html
- Searchable index of thousands of sites dealing with the broad areas of social science and humanities. Easy to search and locate site and content specific to a specific area. Most sites are aimed at a college or university audience.
- SOSIG: Social Science Information Gateway - http://sosig.ac.uk/welcome.html
- An excellent British service, which provides thousands of links to websites, full text resources, journals and research in the social sciences. Easy to search and intended for use by the academic researcher.
- Sociology: the World-Wide Web Virtual Library - http://socserv2.mcmaster.ca/w3virtsoclib/
- Large well organized guide to sociology on the Internet. Includes links to associations, e-journals, directories, discussion lists and general resources. Easy to search and navigate.
- Sociology Tour through Cyberspace -
- The author of this site is "interested in the potential of this cyberspace medium to inform and to generate discourse, to enhance information literacy, and to truly be a "theater of ideas." This site features commentary, data analyses (hey, we've become a "factoid" culture), occasional essays, as well as the requisite links, put together for courses taught by myself and my colleagues." An interesting and informative site with a lot of content.
- Sociosite - http://www2.fmg.uva.nl/sociosite/index.html
- One of the most comprehensive sites on sociology based at the University of Amsterdam. Covers virtually all areas of sociology with an easy to use interface and very specific subject breakdowns.
toplast updated 1/19/05 (fr)