A History of Partnering with Spokane

1881

City fathers asked Father Joseph Cataldo to build a college as a cornerstone of their new city. Gonzaga founded in 1887.

1912

Gonzaga added a Law School to meet the legal needs of a growing population.

1921

Many new enterprises were opening and business acumen was needed. The School of Business opened.

1928

The city's population was expanding and the city needed teachers. The School of Education opened.

1934

Hydroelectricity was being developed as a new power source, and engineers were needed to build dams. GU opened School of Engineering.

1975

School of Professional Studies opened to help educate health care professionals and leaders in the community.

1988

Gonzaga President Father Bernard Coughlin agreed to lead the Spokane Chamber of Commerce– a first for Jesuits nationally.

1995

Jundt Art Museum opened, creating a place for art beloved by artists, students and the community.

2004

University District established; Gonzaga a charter member.

2009

Marks decade of greatest enrollment, facility growth in GU history.